Welcome to Biography Online
Biographies of the famous, influential, and inspirational.
Over 50 influential women who helped to shape the world in which we live. Including: Sappho, Elizabeth I, Indira Gandhi, Susan B. Anthony, Helen Keller, Princess Diana, Joan d'Arc, Marilyn Monroe and Mother Teresa.
Famous Men and women who have campaigned, fought and promoted human and civil rights. Includes campaigns to end slavery, end discrimination and promote equal rights. Includes Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Elizabeth Fry and Rosa Parks. - Famous people in civil rights movements
The Great scientists who have changed our world from Archimedes to Albert Einstein and Marie Curie.
Top 10 Scientists
Poets from Shakespeare, to Emily Dickinson. Great writers including J. R. R. Tolkien, George Orwell, Ernst Hemingway, J.K.Rowling and C.S. Lewis
Saints and sages from different religious traditions. Including Buddha, Jesus Christ, Bernadette Soubirous, Mirabai, St Theresa of Avila, Sri Aurobindo, Socrates and Sri Chinmoy.
A list of famous Africans, including Nelson Mandela, Haile Selassie, Kofi Annan, Tegla Laroupe, and Wangari Maathai.
Famous military leaders from Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan and Napoleon to modern military commanders, such as Dwight D. Eisenhower, T. E. Lawrence and General Patton.
Nelson Mandela. (1918 - 2013 ) Campaigned for justice and freedom in his South Africa. Spent 20 years in jail for his opposition to apartheid. After release he became first President of democratic South Africa and helped heal the wounds of apartheid by his magnanimous attitude to his former political enemies.
- J.K.Rowling - Best selling author of Harry Potter Series.
- Benjamin Franklin - Great American polymath.
- Martin Luther King - Civil rights activist.
- Sir Isaac Newton - Great scientist of 17th Century, discovering laws of gravity
- Emily Dickinson - American poet.
- George Orwell - Author of 1984 and Animal Farm.
- J.RR. Tolkien - Author of Lord of the Rings.
- J.M. Keynes - Revolutionary economist who created Keynesian economics.
- Sri Chinmoy - spiritual teacher, peace advocate.
- Swami Vivekananda - spiritual teacher and Indian reformer.
Recently added pages
- Female authors - Famous female authors from Sappho to Sylvia Plath
- Irish people - Famous Irish people from St Patrick to Bono.
- Unity in diversity - The ideal of 'Unity in Diversity' and quotes on unity.
- Meister Eckhart - (1260- 1327) Germany mystic, philosopher and religious administrator
- People who promoted religious tolerance - timeline of religious tolerance
- People who changed their minds - Some of the greatest u-turns in beliefs and opinions.
- Martin Niemöller (1893-1984) - German pastor, imprisoned for opposing Hitler.
- Germans who resisted Hitler - Including: Dietrich Bonhoffer, Claus von Stauffenberg.
- Willy Brandt (1913-1992) - German statesman and politician.
- Homer (c. 8th Century BC) - Author of the Iliad and the Odyssey.
- Famous Greeks - From Homer to Socrates, the great ancient Greeks
- Pythagoras - Greek philosopher, mathematician and religious leader.
- Rags to riches stories from entrepreneurs to musicians and sportsmen.
- Famous vegetarians - A list of famous vegetarians from Socrates to Linda McCartney.
- Brigitte Bardot (1934 - ) Actress, singer and animal rights activist.
- Famous pacifists - From Gandhi and Einstein to conscientious objectors.
- Famous people of the First World War - Generals, politicians, poets and pacifists.
- Famous Kings and Queens - English and European royalty.
- Alfred Hitchcock (1899 – 1980) - English / American film producer.
- Walt Disney (1901 – 1966) American cartoonist and entertainment mogul.
- Famous historical figures - from the age of the Ramayana to the present day.
- Famous French people - from Jean d'Arc to Zinedine Zidane.
- Famous slaves - From Spartacus to Sam Sharpe.
- Frederick Chopin (1810 – 1849) Polish born Classical composer.
- Frederick Douglass - (1818 – 1895) African American, anti-slavery campaigner.
- Muhammad Yunus (1940) Nobel Peace Prize for his work on micro credit and loans to the poor.
- Pope Francis (1936 - ) First pope from the Americas.
- Maximilian Kolbe (1894 - 1941) Franciscan Saint from Poland
- Positive aspects of the First World War - the legacy of the League of Nations and anti-war poetry.
- Sophie Scholl (1921-1943) - German student who resisted Hitler and Nazi party
- Jeremy Bentham - founder of utilitarianism.
- Malala Yousafzai - Pakistani school girl who campaigns for human rights and education.
- Humanitarian Biographies
- 100 Famous People
- People who built America
- Top 100 Greatest Britons
- People who overcame difficult odds
- Quotes that changed the world
- Inspirational Quotes
About Biography Online. A collection of biographies about famous, inspirational and influential people, who have helped to shape and change the world. We are continuing to add more biographies over time. The main author of Biography Online is Tejvan Pettinger from Oxford, UK.