Unless otherwise noted, biographies are written by Tejvan Pettinger.
Biography Online was founded 8th April 2006.
About Tejvan Pettinger
I was born in Runnymede, London, the UK in 1976. I studied at Menston Primary and Bradford Grammar School.
At university, I studied Politics Philosophy Economics (PPE) (2:1) at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. During my PPE course, I specialised in:
- British social history since 1870
- International relations between the two world wars.
- Political philosophy
- Development economics.
I currently live in Oxford. I teach economics part-time.
You are welcome to send your comments, corrections and questions here.
If the contact form does not work, please send email direct to
About Biography Online
Biography 0nline was founded by Tejvan Pettinger in 2006.
I founded Biography Online because:
- I have always been interested in finding out about people.
- I have an interest in history, especially modern history.
- I wanted to have an income to supplement my economics teaching so I could spend more time cycle training.
- I enjoy finding out about new inspiring people from history. For example, Witold Pilecki and Chiune Sugihara – from Heroes of Second World War
- I’ve always had an interest in issues, such as human rights, religious tolerance, inspirational people, the history of human rights in quotes
- It is fun picking out my favourite art pieces, greatest scientists
Notes about Biography Online
- I use British-English typography. Spelling may be slightly different to US-English. (e.g. colour vs color)
- If you see anything that needs correcting, please let me know.
- The site contains affiliate links to books at Amazon.com. We earn a small commission on qualifying purchases from these affiliate links.
Books by Tejvan
Articles on Self-improvement
Cracking Economics (UK)
How the greatest economists would solve your everyday problems.
Note on Images: The site uses images of people. Generally, these are taken from Wiki Commons, which is an excellent source for finding images in the public domain. Sometimes small, low res images of dead people are used, under the provision of ‘fair use’. Please note: I do not own the copyright to images of people.
For biographies written by contributors to Biography Online you are permitted to use these on your own websites, provided you provide an active hyperlink to the original page on www.biographyonline.net.
Articles are authored by Tejvan Pettinger unless otherwise stated.
A note about lists
I have made a number of lists, e.g.
I appreciate the order of these lists could be very different, and I may well have missed out many worthy candidates.
- I don’t aim to be fully comprehensive. See them as a good starting point.
- Please don’t be offended if I have missed out your favourite person or have the order wrong. The site is a work in progress. I consider myself a student too – always learning about new people.
- I also appreciate I have a certain bias towards British / American culture – because that is what I know about most. Hopefully, the site will become more comprehensive and global over time.
- You are welcome to make suggestions for new biographies, but I can’t guarantee when I will have time to write them.
Tejvan is also a cyclist and competes in UK cycle races.
- 1st – UK National hill climb championship in 2013
- 2nd – UK National 12 hour time trial championship 2016.
- 3rd – UK National 100 mile TT championship 2014.
- Uphill Struggle – Article at Oxford Today, the magazine of the University of Oxford.
Other sites by Tejvan
- 29 Campbell Rd, Oxford, OX4 3PF, UK
For privacy and cookies information, please view privacy
- Publisher: www.biographyonline.net
- Author: Tejvan Pettinger
- Title: Contact / About Biography Online
- Website original published date 8th April 2006.
- Last updated 10 February 2022
If you need help with citation, check bottom of page. If you still need help, make sure you let me know which page you require it for!