You are welcome to send your comments, corrections and questions to
Unless otherwise noted, biographies are written by Tejvan Pettinger.
About Biography Online
Biography 0nline was founded by Tejvan Pettinger in 2004.
I founded Biography Online because:
- I have always been interested in finding out about people.
- I have an interest in history, especially modern history.
- I wanted to have an income to supplement my economics teaching so I could spend more time cycle training.
- I enjoy finding out about new inspiring people from history. For example, Witold Pilecki and Chiune Sugihara – from Heroes of Second World War
- I’ve always had an interest in issues, such as human rights, religious tolerance, inspirational people, the history of human rights in quotes
- It is fun picking out my favourite art pieces, greatest scientists
About Tejvan Pettinger
I was born in Runnymeade, London, UK in 1976. I studied at Menston Primary and Bradford Grammar School.
At university I studied PPE (2:1 ) at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. During my PPE course, I specialised in:
- British social history since 1870
- International relations between the two wars
- Political philosophy
- Development economics.
I teach economics part-time and also work on another educational website, Economicshelp.org .
A note about lists
I have made a number of lists, e.g.
I appreciate the order of these lists could be very different, and I may well have missed out many worth candidates.
- I don’t aim to be fully comprehensive. See them as a good starting point.
- Please don’t be offended if I have missed out your favourite person or have the order wrong. The site is a work in progress. I consider myself a student too – always learning about new people.
- I also appreciate I have a certain bias towards British / American culture – because that is what I know about most. Hopefully, the site will become more comprehensive over time.
- You are welcome to make suggestions for new biographies, but I can’t guarantee when I will have time to write them.
Notes about Biography Online
- I use British-English typography. Spelling may be slightly different to US-English.
- If you see anything that needs correcting, please let me know.
Tejvan is also a cyclist, and compete in UK cycle races.
- 1st – UK National hill climb championship in 2013
- 3rd – UK National 100 mile TT championship 2014.
- Cycling Uphill. Tejvan’s cycling blog
- Uphill Struggle – Article at Oxford Today, the magazine of the University of Oxford
Other sites by Tejvan
- Economics Help – Tejvan’s economics site.
- Poetseers.org– Tejvan’s first poetry website.
- Self Improvement Blog – Sri Chinmoy Inspiration .
- Tejvan has published a book – Happiness will follow you at Amazon.com
- Oxford Light – Tejvan is an amateur photographer. This is photos of Oxford. Flickr stream
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.
Note on Images: The site uses images of people. Generally, these are taken from Wiki Commons, which is an excellent source for finding images in the public domain. Sometimes small, low res images of dead people are used, under the provision of ‘fair use’. I do not own copyright to images of people.
For biographies written by contributors to Biographyonline you are permitted to use these on your own websites, provided you provide an active hyperlink to the original page on www.biographyonline.net.
Articles written by Tejvan Pettinger, unless otherwise stated.
- 29 Campbell Rd
- OX4 3PF
For privacy and cookies information, please view privacy