Top 10 Inventors of all Time
10 great inventors who helped change the world.
- Thomas Edison (1847 – 1931)
Edison filed over 1,000 patents. He developed and innovated a wide range of products from the electric light bulb to the phonograph and motion picture camera.
- The Wright Brothers
Successfully designed, built and flew the first powered aircraft, showing that man could fly. One of most important inventions of Twentieth Century.
- Benjamin Franklin (1705 - 1790)
Polymath who discovered electricity and invented the Franklin stove
- Charles Babbage (1791 – 1871)
- Created first mechanical computer, which proved to be the prototype for future computers. Considered to be the 'Father of Computers'
- James Watt (1736 – 1819)
Inventor of the steam engine, which was critical in the industrial revolution. His invention of a separate condensing chamber, greatly improved the efficiency of steam.
- Alexander Bell (1847 – 1922)
Credited with inventing the first practical telephone. Also worked on optical telecommunications, aeronautics and hydrofoils.
- Leonardo Da Vinci (1452 – 1519)
One of the greatest ever minds, invented models that proved workable 3-500 years later.
- Galileo (1564-1642)
Developed a powerful telescope and confirmed revolutionary theories about the nature of the world. Also developed improved compass.
- Tim Berners Lee
Developed the http:// protocol for the internet. Making the world wide web freely available.
- Archimedes (287 BC – c. 212 BC)
Amongst other things worked out pi and developed the archimedes screw for lifting up water from mines or wells.
Other Great Inventors and innovators include:
- Marie Curie (1867 – 1934) Discovered Radium and help make use of radiation and X Rays.
- Nikola Tesla (1856 –1943) - fluorescent lighting, the Tesla coil, the induction motor, and 3-phase electricity and AC electricity.
- John Logie Baird (1888 - 1946) - Invented TeleVision and first recording device
- John Harrison (1693 – 1776) - Invented a way to measure longitude at sea, increasing the safety of sea voyages.
- Michael Faraday (1791- 1867) - helped convert electricity into a format that could be easily used.
- Steve Jobs (1955-2011) - helped revolutionise personal computer devices with the iPod, iPad, macbook and iPhone
- Edmund Cartwright (1743-1823) - invented the power loom
- Sir Humphry Davy (1778 - 1829) - Inventor of the Davy lamp
- Cornelius Drebbel (1572 - 1633) - Dutch inventor of the submarine
- Henry Faulds (1843-1930) - Victorian inventor, credited with fingerprinting
- William Henry Fox Talbot (1800 - 1877) - Victorian pioneer of photography
- William Gilbert (1544 - 1603) - 16th century scientist, pioneer of magnetism
- Kirkpatrick Macmillan (1812 - 1878) - Victorian inventor of the bicycle
- Noyce and Kilby (1927-1990) - 20th century electrical engineers, invented the microchip
- Jethro Tull (1674 - 1741) - 18th century agriculturalist, inventor of the seed drill
- Alan Turing (1912 - 1954) - 20th century mathematician, pioneer of computer science
- Barnes Wallis (1887 - 1979) - World War Two aviation engineer, invented the 'bouncing bomb'
Citation : Pettinger, Tejvan. "Top 10 Inventors", Oxford, www.biographyonline.net - 4th Sept. 2012.
- Top 10 Scientists of all time
- Top 10 Entrepreneurs
- Scientist Biographies
- Top 10 inventors at Marquin