A list of 10 of the greatest English football players of all time.
1. Bobby Moore (1941-1993) 108 Caps for England (2 goals) Clubs: West Ham, Fulham Awards: World Cup (1966)
Bobby Moore was known as a real gentleman of the game appreciated by fellow players and opponents alike. He led England to the World Cup final in 1966. In 1970, he also led England until they were beaten by West Germany in the QF.
2. Gary Lineker – (1960 – ) 80 caps (48 goals)
Clubs: Leicester City, Barcelona, Tottenham
Awards: Golden boot during 1986 World Cup, where Linekar scored six goals. In 1990, Linekar was a key figure as England got to the semi-finals before losing on penalties.
3. Gordon Banks (1937 – ) 73 Caps (0 goals) One of the best goalkeepers of all time. Clubs: Leicester City, Stoke
Awards: World Cup (1966) League Cup
4. Bobby Charlton (1937) 106 caps (49 goals)
Clubs: Manchester United Awards: World Cup (1966), Football League, European Cup. Midfield player with renowned attacking skills and ferocious shot. Only cautioned twice in his career.
5. Stanley Matthews (1915-2000) 54 caps (11 goals) + wartime team and GB. Clubs: Stoke City, Blackpool
Awards: FA Cup (1953). European player of the year (1956) Oldest player to represent England at 42 years. Stanley Matthews had a unique ability to dribble past players and had an amazing right foot.
6. Bryan Robson (1957 – ) 90 caps (26 goals)
Clubs: West Brom, Manchester United
Trophies: 3* FA Cups, 2* Premierships, European cup winners cup.
7. David Beckham – 115 Caps (17 goals)
Won league title in 4 different countries (Manchester United, Real Madrid, L.A. Galaxy, Paris St Germain. Beckham was captain of England for six years and was one of England’s most capped players, appearing in 1998,2002 and 2006 World Cups.
103 Caps for England (47 goals)
Clubs: Everton and Manchester United 5* Premier division titles + UEFA Champions League. Rooney is England’s all-time record goalscorer with 53 goals in 120 caps. He was four times voted England player of the year.
9. Jimmy Greaves (1940 -) 57 Caps for England (44 goals) Clubs include: Chelsea, Milan and Tottenham. Greaves was the highest goalscorer in English top-flight football with 357 goals. He scored 44 goals in just 57 international appearances for England.
10. Kevin Keegan (1951)61 Caps for England (21 goals) Clubs include: Liverpool F.C. and Hamburg, Southampton and Newcastle.
Awards (3* 1st division titles, 2 UEFA cups and 1 European cup.) He was captained by England 63 times.
Top 10 England Goalscorers
- Wayne Rooney (2003-18)– 53 (120) 0.44 average goals per game.
- Bobby Charlton (1958–1970) – 49 – (106) 0.46
- Gary Lineker (1984–1992) – 48 – (80) 0.6
- Jimmy Greaves (1959–1967) 44 – (57) 0.77
- Michael Owen (1998-2008)– 40 (89) 0.44
- Harry Kane (2015 – ) – 32 (45) 0.71
- Tom Finney (1946–1958) 30 (76) 0.39
- Nat Lofthouse (1950–1958) 30 (33) 0.91
- Alan Shearer (1992–2000) 30 (63) 0.48
- Frank Lampard (1999-2014) 29 (106)0.28
- Vivian Woodward (1903–1911) 29 (23) 1.2609
- Steve Bloomer (1895–1907) 28 (23) 1.22
- David Platt 27 (62)
- Bryan Robson 26 (90)
- Geoff Hurst 24 (49)
Goals in bold. (Appearance in brackets)
Top 10 Capped Players
Top 10 England captains
|#||Player||England career||Caps as captain||Total caps||First captaincy|
|17||Norman Bailey||1878–1887||15||19||12 Mar 1881|
Best goalkeepers – most clean sheets
|10||Jordan Pickford||2017 –||10||24||0.42|
Other Great Players
- Paul Gascoigne
- Tom Finney
- Glen Hoddle
- Geoff Hurst
- Nat Lofthouse
- Alan Shearer
- Peter Shilton
- Dixie Dean
- Ian Wright
Last updated March 2020.
100 Famous sporting personalities – 100 Famous sporting personalities, including Muhammad Ali, Nadia Comaneci, Pele and Jesse Owens.
Famous English people – Famous English men and women. From Anne Boleyn and Queen Elizabeth I to Henry VIII and Winston Churchill. Includes the great poets – William Shakespeare, William Blake and William Wordsworth.