10 of the greatest Nobel Peace Prize winners
- Mikhail Gorbachev (1990) For the transition of Soviet Communism to democracy and allowing freedom for Eastern Europe.
- Nelson Mandela (1993). Awarded jointly with F W de Klerk, Nelson Mandela was awarded peace prize for his role in ending apartheid and making a peaceful transition to full democracy.
- Mother Teresa (1979) For her work in serving the poor in India and other parts of the world.
- Woodrow Wilson (1919) For his role in founding the League of Nations, the forerunner of the United Nations
- Amnesty International. For its work in preventing torture and abuses of human rights.
- Desmond Tutu (1984). For his role in non violently opposing the apartheid system.
- Martin Luther King (1964). For the peaceful opposition to racial discrimination
- The 14th Dalai Lama.(1989) For peaceful resistance to Chinese rule in Tibet
- Shirin Ebadi. (2003) Iranian lawyer working for human rights in Iran.
- Kofi Annan (2001) United Nations Secretary General from 1997-2007
- Jimmy Carter (2002) For lifetime’s work for peace.